Friday, February 17, 2012

Learning Outside of the Classroom - Distance and Web-Based Education!

I found G &G’s presentation about distance and web based learning to be very informative. It was an area that I had not really thought of during my time at BU. I took a biology course in grade 12 that was designed by the province as a web based course. I personally did not enjoy this type of learning experience, because it was completely web based, and the only time I had contact with my teacher was if I needed help with assignments. I read everything on the computer and completed assignments at my own pace.  I am an auditory learner, so I learn by listening to others and making it relevant to my own life experience. I found that I had trouble connecting with the content, and so I rushed through the reading and assignments so that I could be done early! While I did not have a positive experience with that particular course, I do see the value in a having distance learning courses.

It is very important that we recognize that everyone learns differently. I believe that the distance option can work under the right circumstances. The student has to be highly self-motivated and have good thinking, writing, and reading skills so that they can absorb the content. They also have to be goal oriented. I can see this option being effective for students who cannot spend time in the classroom due to personal circumstances (young mothers, students who work, rural students, those returning to school, those who want to extend their education or prepare for University, or students who do not work well with others to name a few examples).  Another thing I had not thought of was that teachers have the opportunity to order these courses to supplement their own learning and to build their resources. Teachers can refresh themselves on the course content, or use the online courses to enhance their own lesson planning. I love that this is possible, and I am going to look into ordering a few courses that I think will be useful in my subject area!

It is so important for us to know about all of the resources that are available to us as teachers so that we can keep developing our courses and ourselves so that our students get the best learning experience possible! This is one more tool that we can use, and I am really glad we got the opportunity to learn more about it!

1 comment:

  1. As accessible as they make web based and distance courses, and believe that you are right in saying that everyone learns differently, meaning there are some students who simply will not, or can not, learn in this way. Hands on learners, or auditory learners like yourself, would most definitely be at a disadvantage with web based courses.

    ReplyDelete