Friday, January 6, 2012

My Inspiration / Better World Books

I feel like I should start with an explanation about what my blog will be about.  My brother recently started a new project in which he buys as little as possible new. He tries to buy products that are made locally and eats foods that are grown locally as much as possible.  For Christmas, we had to do extensive research into everything we bought for him and my nephew.  Any gifts we bought had to be used, made from organic products, or bought from a local producer! From him, I received goats milk soap made in Manitoba and organic fair trade tea from the Marquis project in BDN (both awesome products). We found my nephew used toys and books, and my brother received organic clothing and a certificate that I had bought a garden for a young mother in the developing world in his name. It was an interesting Christmas to say the least!
My brother is very stubborn, so I guess we all got tired of being questioned about the products we were buying and decided to give it a try and actually think about our habits. His conversion to being  "Green" has made me rethink some of my habits as a consumer, and a lot of my blog posts will be about environmental or social stewardship resources that I have found online. Social activism is not something I have had a chance to explore much, and it is something I would like to include in my social studies courses once i have a job!

www.betterworldbooks.com

I recently started using this website for ordering books online.  I have always been a reader, and I used to order all of my books from amazon.com. I heard about this website at a P.D. this past year, so I decided to check it out.  Turns out that for every book you order, the proceeds go towards literacy initiatives around the world.  This includes: restocking libraries, building schools in the developing world, and donating books to those that can't afford them. Most of the books are used and have been recycled by people/libraries/schools that no longer need them. Plus the shipping is all free and the prices are quite often cheaper than amazon.  Seems like a win-win situation to me, and something my brother can be proud of me for!
My first shipment is on its way and I can't wait to get my socially and environmentally conscious books. Check it out!

1 comment:

  1. Nicole,

    I absolutely love this post and the important message that it sends. Environmental awareness is something that is also very close to my heart. I hate when people litter and am a recycling junkie.

    There needs to be more people like your brother in this world if we have any hope for the future of our natural environment. I also usually by brand-nnew books because, lets face it, I am an anal person who likes things to be neat and organized the way that I see fit. However, after reading your post I am going to make a pledge to use betterworldbooks.com to purchase my books. Thanks for sharing this awesome website!

    Katrina

    ReplyDelete